meal components: protein + veggie
- 1/2 cup canned tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tbsp onion chopped fine
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp chicken broth
- 7 oz ground turkey AP
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp powdered dried sage
- 1.5 cups diced or sliced leeks
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast AP
- Begin by making pizza sauce: Add 1 tbsp chicken broth, minced garlic and onions to a small pan and sauté until the garlic begins to brown.
- Add the canned tomatoes, basil, 1/4 tsp black pepper and 1/2 tsp salt to the pan. Bring to a boil.
- Boil for 3-5 minutes or until slightly thick. Remove from heat and puree. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix ground turkey, dried sage, and 1/4 tsp salt. Press turkey mix into an eight-inch pizza pan. Cover with the plastic wrap and press again or use a rolling pin to make the turkey as flat and even as possible. Remove the plastic wrap.
- Bake turkey crust in a 400 degree F oven for 20 minutes, turkey crust will begin to brown.
- Remove from oven and spread pizza sauce over turkey crust, leaving a 1/4 inch gap around the edges.
- Distribute tomato slices and leek rounds evenly on top of sauce.
- Return pizza to the oven for another 5 minutes. Remove and sprinkle with nutritional yeast and serve while hot!
This recipe also works well with ground chicken.
If you want to add a serving of fruit, sliced apple is delicious with the turkey crust, fennel and leeks and will give a sweet and savory pizza creation.