meal components: protein + veggie
- 7 oz ground beef (100g per 3.5 oz) 95-99% fat free
- 1 tbsp onion chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cilantro chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup salsa no oil or sugar
- 2 cups napa cabbage shredded
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, onion, garlic, cilantro, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, tomato paste and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
- Form beef mixture eight 31g small balls.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Brown meatballs on all sides, approx. 1 min per side.
- Add salsa to the skillet and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes, adding a little water (1 tbsp at a time) to the mixture if the salsa reduces too much.
- Arrange shredded cabbage around meatballs in the skillet. Cover again and simmer until the cabbage is wilted, approx. 2-3 min.
You can also turn these into patties! Simply split the beef mixture into two patties instead of small balls. Brown on both sides and cook the same way as listed above. If you want to add more heat, add another ¼ tsp of cayenne pepper without going over your calorie count for the recipe.
This was SO easy to make! I accidentally forgot the tomato paste in the meatballs, but they still stayed together pretty well! I LOVED the flavor of this dish and will definitely be making it again! You could easily make it more P3 friendly by adding avocado or sour cream if you wanted too which is awesome!
Yay! Yes, that’s for sure! Most of the P2 Recipes can actually be tweaked for P3 and the avocado is a really smart & sumptuous idea. Thanks a bunch 🙂
Li-an, Rayzel’s assistant
Great and so flavorful. I made mine into patties to save time. I was making it on my lunch break. I double it and froze some for the next few weeks.
Just something funner about patties and meatballs than simply crumbles huh!
I made three of your recipes yesterday, including this one, and they have absolutely blown me away! I’m always trying recipes and do not have high expectations when it comes to P2 Hcg recipes. But I would eat your recipes any day of the week in the month of the year! They taste way too delicious to be diet food!
I’m so glad to hear this Kimberly! Thank you so much for taking the time to post your thoughts.