meal components: protein + veggie
- 7 oz chicken breast (100g per 3.5 oz) boneless, skinless
- 2 1/2 cups Asparagus diced into ½” chunks, ends removed and tips reserved
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth SP Option: use water instead
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 tbsp white onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- 1 tsp chili flakes ¼ for less spice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 piece Melba toast or Grissini stick
- 1 cup zucchini diced-AP
- 1 cup onion finely sliced
- 1 tbsp Greek yoghurt fat free-AP
- 1/2 cup water
To serve (optional)
AP ingredient variations:
- Coat chicken with ¼ tsp sea salt, and add chicken plus ¼ cup broth to a saucepan, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer over medium heat until cooked through and the juices run clear - about 15-20 mins. Once cooked, shred the chicken with a knife and fork and set aside.
- Prepare soup while the chicken is cooking. Add the garlic and onion to a large saucepan with 1 tbsp of broth. Fry over low heat until softened.
- Add the asparagus stalks to the pan with the remaining stock, lemon juice, water, chili flakes and tarragon. For AP, swap ½ cup asparagus for zucchini or onion. Add ½ cup more water.
- Cover and simmer gently for 20 mins.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Return to the saucepan and season with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken and asparagus tips to the soup and bring back to a gentle simmer until the chicken is hot through and the asparagus tips have softened.
- Serve with melba toast. For AP, stir through Greek yogurt when serving.
- Instant pot, oven bake or slow cook the chicken in broth. For batch cooking, cook 400g of chicken and shred. This can then divided between the lemon chicken soup and the asparagus soup.
For this type of recipe, a great batch cooking idea is to simply cook up a large portion of chicken breast and shred in advance and use for various recipes. For larger portion size, add some water and additional salt to taste. Miracle noodles would also add bulk well! Macros listed are for SP version.