meal components: protein + veggie
- 7 oz chicken breast (100g per 3.5 oz) boneless, skinless, cooked, cooled and diced or shredded
- 1 head garlic
- 1 cup onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 3 cups fat free chicken broth SP Option: use water instead
- 1/4 cup fat free greek yogurt SP Option: do not use
- parsley Finely chopped for garnish
- Lemon wedges for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Slice about ¼” from the top of the head of garlic, spray with a bit of coconut oil spray, and wrap in aluminum foil (see my note below about roasting several heads at once if you do this- just makes sense).
- Roast the head of garlic for 45-60 mins, until browned and softened. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the onions to the pot, season with salt, pepper, and thyme and sauté for 7-8 minutes, until golden brown.
- Squeeze the garlic cloves into the pot and mix well.
- Slowly stir in the chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in the Greek yogurt, and blend with an immersion blender until smooth and creamy. (Alternatively, carefully transfer the soup to a blender and blend until smooth).
- Stir in the chopped/shredded chicken and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls, garnish with finely chopped parsley and a squeeze of lemon.
While you are roasting 1 head of garlic, you might as well roast several more in bulk to use with other P2 meals (you can freeze extra too!) Or check out the Instant Pot version of roasted garlic heads here.
I don’t know how this doesn’t have any comments yet! It’s amazing! I’m on day 2 and was sooo hungry after work. I had leftover chicken from last night and just threw in some garlic to roast. I don’t know how the calorie count changes but I doubled the amount of garlic in the soup and threw in some fresh rosemary from my garden as well. With the shredded chicken it made 4 cups total of soup. I had two cups and a nice spring mix salad with apple cider and vinegar and am stuffed. Delicious!!!!!
Oh I’m so glad you enjoyed it Alicia! That’s great to hear. Oh fresh rosemary sounds absolutely wonderful as well.
This is absolutely amazing. I did add a little more salt to it but so tasty.
wonderful! I like things saltier too. :)-
Are there instructions for roasting P2 friendly garlic heads in an instant pot? You mention something about it in the recipe notes but I didn’t see a link or anything
Oh! I don’t know that I have that yet-