meal components: protein + veggie + 1/4 fruit
- 7 oz chicken breast (100g per 3.5 oz) boneless, skinless, diced
- 2 cloves garlic finely sliced
- 1 tbsp chicken broth SP Option: use water instead
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 crack black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups red cabbage (5oz per 2.5 cups) sliced raw
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 1/2 orange get the zest
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp powdered stevia *
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1/2 cup finely sliced red onion
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil AP
- 2 leaves romaine lettuce (large leaves)
AP ingredient variations:
- Add the chicken to slow cooker and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Add garlic, broth and balsamic to cooker. Turn the chicken to ensure it is fully coated in marinade.
- Set heat to high and cook for 1.5-2 hrs until the chicken is tender and cooked through. Shred the chicken and set aside with cooking juices.
- While the chicken cooks you can make the relish. For AP, fry the onion gently in coconut oil in a medium pan until soft, continue SP recipe as follows. Add red cabbage to the pan with water, orange juice and zest. Gently bring to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer over low heat and add the ground spices and seasoning.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and add balsamic. Cover and continue to simmer for 15 mins.
- Uncover and continue to cook until all liquid is absorbed and cabbage is soft and caramelized.
- Serve the pulled chicken and its cooking juices on lettuce with a side of red cabbage relish.
- Additionally, serve with melba toast.
- Double the ingredient quantities for the slow-cooked chicken and cook for 2-2.5 hours or until tender and cooked through. Divide the chicken between the pulled chicken and chutney recipe and the pulled chicken with red cabbage relish.
To make this SP protein + veg + fruit, you could serve with a sliced orange and green onion salad. Macros listed are for SP version. *This is based on the Trim Healthy Mama stevia brand that I personally use and linked to in the recipe which is quite concentrated. Stevia potency really varies from brand to brand so you may need to adjust the level of stevia to more or less depending on which one you use.
Really tasty! I sautéed my spiced chicken in the broth, vinegar, and garlic rather than slow cook it, but it was still amazing. And the cabbage completes the meal perfectly. So happy to have access to all these great recipes.
I love that idea. I don’t plan ahead enough for slow cooking myself too much either lol. I’m an Instant Pot type girl haha. So glad you enjoyed!