meal component: protein + veggie
STEAK and PEPPERS
- 7 oz Top Sirloin Steak (100g per 3.5 oz) thinly sliced
- 1.5 cups green bell peppers sliced -AP
- 2 tbsp onion minced
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1.5 cups button mushrooms diced -AP
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast -AP
- 1/4 tsp salt (start low and add more to taste)
- 1/3 cup water cold
- 1 tsp coconut oil melted
- 1/2 tsp dried mustard
STEAK and PEPPERS
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add peppers, onion, and garlic. Season with salt. Cook, stirring often, until caramelized, approximately 10-12 minutes. Stir in mushrooms, paprika, cayenne and dijon mustard. Cook until mushrooms are tender, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Remove vegetables from skillet and set aside.
- Add sliced steak and cook to desired doneness. Remove from heat.
- Whisk together nutritional yeast flakes and salt in a small saucepan.
- Place pan over medium-high heat and whisk in cold water.
- Continue whisking as the sauce thickens, bring to a rolling boil, reduce heat, cook 1 minute, remove from heat. Whisk in coconut oil and dried mustard. This sauce thickens up quickly so make once ready to use, or you may need to add additional water to make it less thick as time goes by.
- To assemble, layer thinly sliced steak and peppers mixture, dividing evenly between two plates. Drizzle with “cheese” sauce. Serve.
If you like your cheesesteak with a little extra spice, add another ¼ tsp cayenne pepper.
Make a double batch and divide into four airtight containers to last the entire week.
You can also make this recipe with red or orange bell peppers if you prefer!
What is nutritional yeast?
Here ya go! https://www.thespruce.com/what-is-nutritional-yeast-3376833
Im in phase 2 of the hcg diet and it says i can only eat lean beef. So is it okay to use sirloin steak? And mushrooms?
If you find the leanest cuts of steak where you don’t see it marbled with fat, this is suitable. Mushrooms is an AP ingredient meaning alternate ingredient – so these are used in updated protocols but not on the original Dr. Simeons protocol- so that is a personal choice there as to what you want to do. Hope that helps you decide!