meal components: protein + veggie
- 7 oz ground beef (100g per 3.5 oz) 95-99% lean
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper double if you like really spicy
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup white onion minced
- 2 tbsp green onion minced
- 2/3 cup celery minced
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 1/2 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups butter lettuce leaves
- 4 oz button mushrooms minced - AP
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper minced - AP
- Be sure to chop all the vegetables really fine, using a chopper or a food processor.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add meat to the skillet, breaking it up as it cooks. Season with cayenne pepper. Cook until meat browns.
- Add onion, green onion, celery, and garlic (for AP option add mushrooms and red bell pepper). Reduce heat to medium. Add white vinegar and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, stirring to combine well. Cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook for an additional 5 minutes. Serve approximately 1/3 cup of the sloppy joe mixture on each leaf of butter lettuce. 3 lettuce leaf wraps per serving.
Double or triple the batch for the week! You can easily make the sloppy joe mixture ahead of time and freeze in individual servings in freezer bags.
Macros listed are for AP version.
The cooking directions say to add water, but there is no water amounts listed in the ingredients. How much water?
Oh sorry about that! There is no water- typo there- no water in the sloppy joes. I will fix!
This is really, really good! I found it very filling, and the butter lettuce leaves made for a nice presentation.
It was actually a little too rich tasting for me…I think the mushrooms were a bit much for me. You know how the taste buds change while on hCG, and you begin craving simpler food – I guess that’s what happened here LOL!
You are right about that re taste buds being different on hCG. It has actually been challenging for me being OFF hcg making these recipes because I find it hard for them to taste good since I’m eating Phase 4 stuff lol.
Well you did an amazing job here, and I thank you for it. I’ll tell you a little secret: my husband has actually been jealous of my P2 food! I left him to fend for himself food-wise while I did this round of hCG, and he’s been ogling my meals and asking for little tastes, LOL. The recipes you’ve created here far exceeded my expectations.
I had previously ordered my hCG meals from two different local delivery services, at an astronomical price. Your recipes put both of those companies to shame. I’m actually kind of embarrassed that I wasted so much money buying ready made meals, when it took so little effort to prepare the P2 recipes on your site. Oh well, now I know better!
Wow now that’s saying something lol! I kind of made my hubby fend for himself when I was on P2 also. I couldn’t really handle too much regular cooking if I couldn’t eat it. My son ate a LOT of granola bars while I was on my rounds – I used to say half his bones were made up of granola bars. It’s only funny now because we really do feed him good whole organic food now! Not something I’d do long term of course.
I’m so glad the recipes are seeming that good overall – it has been SO tricky to figure these P2 recipes out- the Phase 3 recipes were SOOOOO much easier in comparison. I wasn’t even sure we could pull it off honestly- but we do seem to have a groove with it now.
Oh good too – you can save money and have fresher food!
Made this for dinner tonight and it was SO good! I had to improvise on the lettuce, I did not have butter lettuce so I use Romain. I decided to chop it up and put the sloppy joe mix all over the top. I have a question on the 1 cup of lettuce in the recipe. How many butter leaves might that be? So because I used Romain, I went to my trusty website: cookitsimply.com and put in lettuce to get measurements. 1 cup of lettuce is 75 grams or 2.6 ounces. When measuring one cup of lettuces, spinach, etc., I have always used this site to help me weight exactly what would be considered a ‘cup’ or ? of whatever foods I am using. I don’t see specifics as such in your recipes, so I wasn’t sure what the specifics are in the ingredient of lettuces etc. I did not do the AP option. Thank you so much for all the hard work that has gone into these recipes! I love to cook, am a detailed person, and so far the recipes are fun for me and very delicious!!