meal components: protein + veggie
- In a small bowl, stir together oregano, basil, and thyme. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add cherry tomatoes, onion and garlic to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes. Add half of the fresh herb mixture to the skillet and cook another 3 minutes. Let mixture cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, stir together ground beef, remaining fresh herb mixture and salt. Form the beef mixture into two balls.
- Spread the balls of meat out into two thin circles of meat crust on the lined baking sheet. Spread half of the tomato mixture on each circle in the center.
- Fold meat crust in half carefully, making sure to crimp the edges together well. Cut two thin slits in the top of each hand pie to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the meat is cooked through. Check the mixture halfway through, mopping up any juices with a paper towel so the hand pies don’t get too soggy.
These were so good and so filling. I made this in a large batch using 20 oz of lean ground beef and was able to make 5-4 oz. servings (meat measured before filling and cooking). I did not have thyme and I added spinach to my tomato mixture. I ate this with a side of mixed greens. Delicious! Definitely making these again.
I’m so glad you liked them! What a great idea to batch them as well! Thanks for commenting!