Meal components: protein + veggie + fruit
- 8 whole eggs
- 2 cups maple wood chips
- 8 cups baby spinach
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 grapefruit peeled and sliced
- If you have a smoker, preheat it to 225 degrees F then add the applewood to the smoker box. If you are using a gas grill, wrap the wood chips in a foil packet and poke a few holes in the top of the foil. Place the foil packet in the center of your grill and preheat your grill to 225 degrees F. Once the wood begins to smoke, move it to the corner of the grill and keep the grill lid closed.
- Place the eggs, still in the shells, directly on the grill grates. Close and smoke for 2 hours. The shells should be golden brown.
- Remove the eggs from the smoker and let them cool.
- Add spinach, balsamic, lemon juice, vanilla and salt to a large saute pan. Cover and heat over medium for 2 minutes. Remove the cover and toss to ensure spinach is wilted evenly.
- Divide the spinach between two plates and top with grapefruit slices.
- Peel the eggs and place one whole egg on each plate with the spinach salad. Cut the remaining 6 eggs in half, remove and discard the yolk. Place three egg whites one each plate as well.
- Serve warm, chilled or at room temperature!
- Maple extract in the spinach salad will also add some extra maple flavor to mimick the smoked eggs.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.