meal components: protein + veggie
- 7 oz Sirloin Steak (100g per 3.5 oz) sliced* into 6 thin, flat, wide strips -approx 35g per strip
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 12 asparagus spears
- 2 tbsp beef broth SP Option: use water instead
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/32 tsp powdered stevia *
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper (½ of a bell pepper) sliced-AP
- Dissolve the baking soda in 1/2 cup warm water.
- Soak the steak strips the baking soda mix for 15 minutes. This helps make lean meat much more tender. Rinse steak thoroughly/repeatedly with cold water.
- Lay steak on a sheet tray and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, garlic powder and rosemary. Rub seasonings into meat and set aside.
- Sauté the asparagus spears with beef broth, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper for 6 minutes. Asparagus should be cooked but crunchy(If making AP variation, also sauté the red bell pepper slices with the asparagus).
- Place the asparagus spears in the center of the sirloin(2 spears per sirloin) and wrap steak around asparagus. Secure ends with a toothpick.
- Bring balsamic vinegar and stevia powder to a boil and immediately turn off the heat. Set aside.
- Grill the steak rolls on a preheated grill pan for 3 minutes on each side.
- Brush each roll with balsamic glaze and serve while warm.
A way to make it easier to slice meat thinly like this is to stick it in the freezer for 20 minutes first. You should be able to slice one 100g steak into three thin flat pieces to make three rolls per serving. *This is based on the Trim Healthy Mama stevia brand that I personally use and linked to in the recipe which is quite concentrated. Stevia potency really varies from brand to brand so you may need to adjust the level of stevia to more or less depending on which one you use. Macros listed are for SP version.
I made this last night, and it was soooo delicious! Favorite thing I have ever eaten while on the VLCD phase. Thank you!
Oh my gosh REALLY Yvette? I am SO glad to hear this, wow what a compliment to my recipe developer gals! Thank you so much for taking the time to write!
Everywhere I’ve read said balsamic vinegar is not allowed in Phase 2??
It’s totally up to you and certain ones would not be good to use, but if you use one with only 5-15 cals per tbsp I personally feel it would be pretty hard to get yourself in trouble – but always stick with what you feel most comfortable with. Some do use it though.