0. Bonus Tip Zero: Clean Load
DURING Phase 2 Ideas
“primary role is to amplify flavor.”
Type of Salt to Use
WHEN and HOW You Use & Add Salt Makes a Difference
Concerned about Sodium Intake?
Benefits of salt:
2. Use Stinky Stuff
2 things to note about selecting a fish sauce:
3. Use pickled stuff
4. Use more spices and dried herbs. More. Yep, still more.
5. Fresh Herbs
6. Use Sour stuff: Lemon Squeezes and Vinegar Splashes
7. Tenderize your meat
A very common complaint on the hCG diet is tough meat- especially lean beef cuts. This make the food really hard to enjoy when the texture is just really hard or chewy or yuck.
Soak your raw meat in a baking soda solution for 15 minutes.
How to Do It
- It’s okay to leave the baking soda on longer, but it does not further improve the texture beyond just doing it 15 minutes.
- It was noted that meat with more surface area to penetrate, like ground meat, may be best to use less baking soda or else it might be a bit too much and taste of baking soda. So possibly more like 1/2-3/4 tsp for 1 lb of ground meat.
- This works best for thin cuts of meat – which in general will work well for us since we are using small cuts of beef on this diet.
- This works well with chicken breast too- while chicken breast isn’t terrible on it’s own, I did read that using this method really did improve the moisture and texture of the chicken.
- Seafood doesn’t need this since it’s already plenty tender.
8. Chop veggies smaller or in different cuts
9. No Calorie or Low Calorie Stuff to Stay Sane
A. Miracle Noodles
B. Glucomannan Powder
C. Super Low Calorie Pre-Made Sauces and Dressings
10. Caramelize/Roast veggies
To Caramelize Veggies on P2:
Caramelizing with Instant Pot! What what??
Roasting in the Oven without Oil Tips:
- Use a dark pan to get better browning
- Use a pan large enough to prevent overcrowding- as mentioned above, more veggies releases more moisture and then this tends to steam the veggies rather than brown them which needs a more dry environment, especially when no oil is involved.
- If you are adding herbs and spices to your veggies, spritz the veggies with water lightly help the herbs and spices adhere.
- Baste your sheet of veggies with 1-2 tsp of broth at a time while cooking- use only as much as is needed so that you don’t get the steaming effect instead.
- Roast at 375 for 45-60 minutes depending on number of veggies and your elevation. 10 minutes into the clock, lift and stir/turn the veggies from sticking. Periodically check the veggies over the next 35-45 minutes and turn as needed.